Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Remember When... ?

Remember when going to a place like Home Depot or Diamond or Eagle used to be rather exciting? It meant that you were working on something. It meant that you were starting a project, a new adventure even. It meant that you maybe had done some research and were going to test a theory. It meant that you knew what you were doing. Oh, and the EXCITEMENT of telling the myriad of employees at said store what you were PLANNING... as if they gave two shakes. Pshhht.
Now what used to be reserved to the weekends (the earlier the better so you can get a jump on it!!!) happens every other day and sometimes 2 or more trips a day. Now you know the greeter's name and barely have the respect to nod at Kenny as you pass by him, him with all of his optimism and faith in you and your holy project. You almost feel comfortable enough to use the employee bathroom and get offended when the new guys asks, "So, whatcha workin' on?"
Dude, please, as if the weary disappointment smeared across my face doesn't explain it all already. CLEARLY I am RE-DOING the F-ING ENTIRE wall that I have ALREADY did. LAST WEEK. In the blanket-y blank kitchen. That I've been working on for well over a month now.
Yeah, but thanks for asking.
Do you guys sell first aid kits?

1 comment:

Bekster said...

Did I ever tell you that I am allergic to Home Depot and the tools/construction section of Fred Meyer? I am not kidding. Every time I go in there, especially near where there might be sawdust or crank case oil, I get dizzy and break out into a sweat. I immediately have to leave the area and find myself a bench and a home decorating magazine to peruse while whomever I'm with finishes their bidness. It's really something.