Monday, March 25, 2013

Touring Grants Pass on Foot

With Dustin AND OUR CAR in San Diego, Alden and I have been Forest Gump-ing it around town for the month. We've gotten a ride here and there but mostly when we had plans with the folks driving. I wished that I had a app that tracked mileage or, better yet, a car.

I'm mostly kidding. It's not been that bad. We have a great deal of "free" time (what is that exactly?) so walking our errands has been a great time soaker. We walked from our home to The Kid Zone at the top of town. We've walked from Westholm Park and then over to Famous Footwear. We've walked up to the Dutch Coffee House and library and Riverside Park and Video World and over 6th street bridge to Walgreens... and... and we are exhausted. Alden is a truckin', troopin' fool with a great deal of zest for observance. We stop and look at every interesting (and some not so interesting) artifacts along the way. We've scaled every fence and teetered on every yard perimeter that offers a ledge. We've met many folks who love a cute kid and a smiling mom. We've popped into stores we have NEVER been in during all of my tours through this town. While getting groceries hasn't been ideal,  I certainly appreciate looking at our town for the last time in such a slow and methodical way. There are homes on Washington Boulevard that I have never noticed before and people's yards can be so inspiring. Our town is rather clean and quirky and full of friendly faces.

As is typically the case with me, I sign up for taking less and doing things the hard way but I always end up with more gratitude and a stronger character. I like thinking that Alden may be picking up on that. Thanks for the long good bye, Grants Pass.

No comments: