Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dreams Really Do Come True: The Pony Express

Last Saturday, March 20th, was my special day. Dustin was home for the weekend, the weather was already perfect at 7:30 a.m., and I was in a fantastic mood despite some sad songs on Pandora. (Don't listen to "Landslide" sung by Stevie Nicks on your birthday... regrettable.) Anyhoo.
Let me re-start by saying that it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a crumby birthday when you are greeted by these two cowpokes.

Dustin, as usual, had some big designs for my birthday. It started with dressing Alden in a handcrafted suit complete with vest, chaps, and wee little bullets on his belt. Oh, and the boots. Perfection.

He crafted me a bandit mask along with a signature orange bandanna. And for Dustin? Naturally, a pipe cleaner Yosemite Sam moustache. Duh.

For those of you wondering if we always dress up for birthdays the answer is no. Just for 31 year old little girls that have been - jokingly - asking for a pony every year.

I'm no dummy. I could see the theme building as Dustin continued to dress us up and pace the house. He had been so intent on mowing the lawn that morning, too. But I just didn't allow myself to get too excited.

But when I came out on the front stoop and saw the most glorious pony ever grazing in our front yard, I was 6 years old all over again! I laughed. I cried. I think I even skipped over to it.


We promptly set Alden on top of Sammy, the 25 year old lady pony, and got to walking up and down our yard for nearly an hour. I never stopped giggling.





So even though I was too old (read to heavy) to ride the pony myself, I do believe I had even more fun making that memory as an adult with my own family at our home. That yard has probably never had such an event happen in it and now, thanks to Dustin, Alden, and a little gal named Sammy, it has!

No comments: