Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Alden for Hire

Alden is four months old now! Almost time for him to start on solids. Almost time for him to get a job. So, like any good mommy, I pose the question: should I start him on rice cereal or just go straight to coffee beans? On the one hand, rice cereal introduces the idea of food, how to use the cumbersome tongue, and forms a healthy relationship to eating in general. On the other hand, coffee beans could make us some money, honey. Consider if you will Kopi Luwak where the coffee berries have been eaten, passed through the digestive tract of the Asian Palm Civet, gathered by natives, and bagged for the wealthy to enjoy.
The above is NOT a picture of Kopi Luwak but it is the only picture of coffee that I have on file. It is actually a cup of Mexican Hot Chocolate with a side of Cuban Toast from a visit to Cafe Diablo with my good friend in Seattle. The drink is good but the toast is to DIE for. Best two dollars I've ever spent.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0c/Kopi-sumatra-farmer.jpg
I couldn't decide which caption to pair with this picture so I'll let you decide:
*Kopi Luwak (that's Vietnamese for "smell this")
*Picture an imaginary comment bubble hovering over his left shoulder, "I make less than one cent for every cat turd I collect. " Pause. "Fair enough."
*Fair Trade, my civet ass!
*Since typical coffee is a diuretic... what are the effects of Kopi Luwak? Implosion?
*While we're on the topic of hybrid etibles... what IS nutella?

No comments: