Thursday, January 24, 2013

Quiet Time

There was an peculiar period from October through December where Alden was waking up at, say, 2am and being fully ready to conquer the day. I don't care how much a mother loves her child, this type of return-to-infancy sleep schedule is bullshit. I'd try to lull him back to sleep by reading books, singing lullabies, and even rocking him but it was all wasted efforts. He'd pop right back up talking about monster trucks and homing pigeons. One morning at the beginning of November, we decided to make a fall leaf garland out of felt. You know, because that's completely normal at 3:45 a.m.
Most of these mornings Alden would wither by 8 or so. He'd zonk out on the couch while I drug my limp body and attitude through the rest of the day. I came up from the office a few times to witness him reflecting on... what? I'll never know. But it was nice to spend that really early morning quiet time together. 
By late December we realized why he was so excitable... he grew about 2 inches in those 3 months. He's not one to get cranky during teething or growing pains. HE. GETS. PUMPED. I can't wait to see what happens in the teen years. Gulp.

No comments: