Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ok. Don't Laugh At Me

Until today, I didn't know that the "www" of a website address is OPTIONAL when typing in the URL. I had silently watched Dustin skip typing in the "www" before several sites' addresses while showing me some stuff about a project he's been working on. Admittedly, I don't really remember what cool stuff he'd discovered because I was frantically digging through my computer knowledge like a dog looking for his dinner bone on a beach. Sand. Was. Everywhere.
Did I know this and somehow forgot? Why have I been wasting precious time typing out the tedious and all-so-obvious "www" for all these years? Why do people even display this portion of an address when we ALL know that "www" is the standard precursor to getting there?
When Dustin finally turned to me and asked excitedly, "Well? So what do you think?" I whispered, "It's amazing."

1 comment:

merrittgade said...

I think that's kind of a new thing. New in the last few years anyway. Also, if a site is very specific and popular, you can just type the word in and don't even need the .com. Like fredflare or nasa or pearljam just take you to those sites. Saves time and effort.