Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Do the Thomas Dance

I've been trying to keep Alden shielded from things like Barney, The Wiggles (terrifyingly odd men with Australian accents dancing to long and complex songs), and Thomas the Tank Engine. I was trying to keep him interested in simple things like rocks and sticks and books. Selfishly, I didn't want to have a house filled with gadgets and commercialized toys that I would inevitably step on in the night and that would possibly become boring in too short of time.
Well, then enter in the era of working from home. I make over 150 phone calls each day and need to have a relatively quiet back ground so I can a) maintain professionalism, b) hear, c) not be distracted, and d) hear. Alden likes to play and talk and sing just two feet from me or often sitting right on my lap. I turned to our local Seattle library to borrow some educational videos and books on tape. We tried The Wiggles (which Dustin banned for Alden and Alden's future children), we tried Lamb Chop (a personal favorite of mine), and Pat the Bunny which is a somber look into the 3-D world of the classic touch-and-feel book. Lastly, we found Thomas. And life hasn't been the same since.



See? What do I know about the joy of children? How can you deny that? I stand corrected.

4 comments:

Bekster said...

I love the enthusiastic stomping! And the swaying so much he about knocks himself over. Classic.

MerrittGade said...

And the flinching at his own clapping! SO CUTE!

MerrittGade said...

Oh, and Hance brows!

anniereed said...

What a darling little guy!! He is just precious! Where did the red curls come from?